Each day, residents will be encouraged to participate in exercise and other activities designed to boost self-esteem and meet individual needs and abilities. The facility will have a secure outdoor area with a hothouse and garden, aviary, workshop, caravan with seating, braai area, garden restaurant and garden furniture. When possible, residents could go to local events, museums and beaches. Specific therapies offered include the following:
- Animal therapy: Therapy to help diffuse challenging behaviours and encourage participation in a range-of-motion exercises. The Jura Care Village is on a 42 hectare coastal estate where residents can interact with a variety of animals. Possible animals that will be used in therapy include horses, dogs, cats, sheep, cattle, birds and peacocks.
- Doll therapy: Doll therapy is a very effective method of stimulating positive moods and emotions such as empathy, compassion and a general feeling of well-being. Many of our residents enjoy interacting with the many dolls in the Jura Care Home.
- Activity therapy: Pottery, Artwork, Painting, Knitting, etc.
- Outdoor Activities: Walking, gardening or relaxing in- and outdoors.
- Music therapy: Therapists will work with residents to promote wellness, help manage stress, and improve communication through singing, dancing, drumming and other instruments.
- Multisensory room: This controlled multisensory room will be specially designed to deliver stimuli to various senses, using lighting effects, color, sounds, music, scents, etc. The combination of different textural materials on the wall will be explored using tactile senses.
- Household Activities: Daily chores, partaking in kitchen, etc.
- Spiritual care: Residents can participate in daily devotions and mealtime prayers. Appropriate staff, family or volunteers may accompany residents to local church services. All religions will be respected.
- End-of-life care: Residents and families will have access to hospice and a compassionate palliative care program provided by trained staff. The Jura Care Staff will work closely with families, explaining what to expect as life draws to an end and supporting families after a resident passes away.